Engaging with the public and stakeholders is an important part of what we do in performing our mandate. The more we hear, the more we learn about how well the energy sector is working to meet the needs of energy consumers. This informed perspective helps us on our path to continuous improvement.
We have created processes through which our stakeholders – including consumers, distributors, generators, transmitters and anyone else with an interest in the sector – can provide advice and recommendations for us to consider.
Ways we engage
The Chair’s Advisory Roundtable brings together 20 energy sector leaders, including representatives of industrial, commercial and residential consumers, environmental and public policy groups, and the financial community. It is a forum for discussing emerging issues and opportunities, and helps us to plan and manage issues as they evolve.
The Advisory Committee on Innovation will help the OEB better understand and identify action items and priorities we can consider to better enable and leverage innovation by regulated utilities - as outlined in the OEB’s five-year Strategic Blueprint. The Committee will focus on identifying actions that a regulator can take that will support and enable cost effective innovation, grid modernization and consumer choice to help inform regulatory policy development. Chaired by Paul Murphy, the Committee is comprised of members with a diverse range of skills and experience.
This committee provides advice, input and feedback to our Executive Leadership on issues related to the Board codes and rules that govern the sector.
2017-19 List of members
- Brian Hewson (IASC Chair), Ontario Energy Board
- Rachel Ingram, Rodan Energy Solutions Inc.
- Richard Booy, Composite Power Group Inc.
- Fidel Reijerse, RESCo Energy Inc.
- Ron Seftel, Bullfrog Power Inc.
- Ruth Tyrrell, Orangeville Hydro Limited
- Mary Caputi, Oakville Hydro Electricity Distribution Inc.
- Mike Matthews, Alectra Utilities Corporation
- Darlene Bradley, Hydro One Networks Inc.
- Tam Wagner, The Independent Electricity System Operator
- Hilary Thompson, Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.
- Clarke Herring, Great Circle Solar Management Corporation
Meeting 1 – November 30, 2017
Meeting 2 – February 9, 2018
Meeting 3 – April 20, 2018
Meeting 4 – June 25, 2018
Meeting 5 – September 14, 2018
This committee provides advice, input and feedback to our Executive Leadership on matters related to the Rules of Practice and Procedure, Filing Requirements, Guidelines, operational policies and other matters relating to the Board’s applications process.
2017-19 List of members
- Indy Butany-DeSouza, Alectra Utilities
- Mark Garner, ECS Consulting
- Andrew Mandyam, Enbridge Gas Distribution
- Joerg Ruppenstein, Fort Frances Power Corp.
- Christina Birceanu, Guelph Hydro Electric Systems
- Lisa Lee, Hydro One
- Gregory Van Dusen, Hydro Ottawa
- Michael Buonaguro, Michael R. Buonaguro Barrister & Solicitor
- Saba Zadeh, OPG
- Mark Rubenstein, Shepherd Rubenstein
We hold Electricity and Natural Gas Forums. They focus on regulatory issues and inform us in developing our annual business plan. They are also an opportunity for stakeholders to share their perspectives on the issues.
Energy Leaders Sector Forum 2015 - October 15, 2015
Our Consumer Panel is made up of a large and diverse group of residential and small business consumers from all parts of Ontario. It provides an opportunity to:
- Discuss issues that are important to consumers
- Gather ideas and provide feedback on the solutions and tools we are developing
- Help assess the effectiveness of our outreach and communications activities.
The insights and perspectives of the Consumer Panel help us to better understand consumer needs and expectations so that we can improve our processes, provide better information and develop more effective tools to empower consumers. Their input also helps us strengthen the rules that apply to energy companies to better protect consumers.
Our Ontario Pipeline Coordinating Committee acts as an important bridge with industry, to coordinate various activities involving natural gas pipelines in the province.
What does the Ontario Pipeline Coordinating Committee do?
The Ontario Pipeline Coordinating Committee coordinates the review of natural gas projects in Ontario that require Ontario Energy Board approval – such as pipeline construction and projects related to the storage of natural gas in geological formations. It reviews environmental assessments, considers reports prepared by the energy companies and raises any concerns with applicants before they submit their applications to the Ontario Energy Board. The Committee’s mandate and the steps in its review process are set in the OEB Environmental Guidelines for Hydrocarbon Pipelines and Facilities in Ontario (pdf)
The Committee is made up of government ministries and agencies that have a role in reviewing natural gas transmission and distribution facility projects. It is chaired by a staff member from the Ontario Energy Board.
- Zora Crnojacki (Chair), Ontario Energy Board
- Linda Pim, Ministry of Agriculture and Food, Ministry of Rural Affairs
- Carla Barboza, Ministry of Tourism, Culture & Sports
- James Hamilton, Ministry of Tourism, Culture & Sports
- Tony Difabio, Ministry of Transportation
- Kourosh Manouchehri, Technical Standards and Safety Authority
- Sally Renwick, Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- David Sit, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Ross Lashbrok, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Scott Oliver, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Western Municipal Services Office
- Michael Elms, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Eastern Municipal Services Office
- Bridget Schulte-Hostedde, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Municipal Services Office - North (Sudbury)
- Shannon Dodd Smith, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Municipal Services Office - North (Thunder Bay)
- Crystal Lafrance, Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) (Southwestern Regional Contact)
- Paula Allen, Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) (Northern Regional Contact)
- Ruth Orwin, Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) (Eastern Regional Contact)
- Mark Smithson, Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) (West Central Regional Contact)
- Paul Martin, Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) (Central Regional Contact)
- Shannon McCabe, Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines
- Joseph Vecchiolla, Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade
- Patrick Grace, Infrastructure Ontario