Case numbers: EB-2017-0182 / EB-2017-0194
Launched: October 12, 2017
In 2011, the Minister of Energy asked the OEB to create a process for selecting the most qualified and cost-effective transmission company to develop the East-West Tie transmission line to connect Northeast and Northwest Ontario.
The OEB undertook a competitive designation process to select a transmitter to carry out development work for the East-West Tie transmission line.
In 2013, the OEB designated Upper Canada Transmission, Inc. as the electricity transmitter to complete development work for the East-West Tie transmission line.
The East-West Tie transmission line was identified as a priority transmission project in Ontario’s 2013 Long-Term Energy Plan. In 2016, the Minister of Energy advised the OEB that the Lieutenant Governor in Council made an order effective March 4, 2016 declaring that the construction of the East-West Tie transmission line is needed as a priority project.
Upper Canada Transmission, Inc. has now applied for approval from the OEB to construct the East-West Tie transmission line. The application requests leave to build approximately 450 kilometres of new double circuit 230 kilovolt electricity overhead transmission line on a new right of way between Thunder Bay and Wawa.
Also as part of the East-West Tie project, Hydro One Networks Inc. has applied for approval from the OEB to perform the necessary transformer station upgrades to connect the new East-West Tie transmission line.
Upper Canada Transmission, Inc. and Hydro One Networks Inc. have filed separate applications with the OEB. The OEB is hearing these applications together.
Correspondence from the Minister:
- Minister’s letter to the IESO regarding updated needs assessment for the East-West Tie, December 4, 2017
- Updated Assessment East-West Tie Expansion: Report by the IESO, December 1, 2017
- Minister’s letter to the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) of August 4, 2017
- Lieutenant Governor Order in Council, effective March 4, 2016
Ontario Energy Board's Notice of Hearing:
Learn more about the applications:
- Decision and Order (December 20, 2018)
- Upper Canada Transmission, Inc.’s application (EB-2017-0182)
- Hydro One Networks Inc.’s application (EB-2017-0194)
- View all documents related to these applications: EB-2017-0182 | EB-2017-0194
To see documents relating to the designation process and other background documents: