Section 57(c.1) of the Ontario Energy Board Act, 1998 states that no person is permitted to engage in unit sub-metering without a licence.
If you are interested in applying for a unit sub-metering licence or if you would like to renew your licence, refer to the link below and download an application form. A sample licence is available for viewing by clicking the link below. Complete and mail two copies of the application form to the Board, along with any required attachments and a cheque or money order in Canadian funds made payable to the Ontario Energy Board.
For each licence application filed with the Board, the applicant must submit a non-refundable application fee of:
- $1000 for applicants applying for a new unit sub-metering licence;
- $200 for applicants applying to renew their unit sub-metering licence and have paid their annual registration fee.
A licensee must pay an annual registration fee for every year of its licence. The annual registration fee for a licensed unit sub-meter provider is $800.
How to view/open the writable PDF forms
- Right-click the "Application Form (writable pdf)" link, and select "Save link as".
- This will open a window that will allow you to select where on your computer you would like to save the form. Browse to where you would like to save the form, then click "Save". The form will download to your computer.
- Open the form you just downloaded and fill in the necessary fields. Be sure to save your changes before closing the form.
Licensees must comply with the Board's Unit Sub-Metering Code and all other conditions set out in their licence.
For a list of active licensees and a list of current applicants, click on the links below:
If you require an amendment to your unit sub-metering licence, please use the following link for more information about applications for licence amendments.