Useful links for generators

This information is outdated. New information will be posted shortly.

OEB Links 

Apply for a Generator Licence
Persons generating and selling electricity in Ontario require a generator licence from the OEB.

Distribution System Code
You will need to sign a connection agreement with the local electricity distributor outlining the roles and responsibilities of each party. You can find standardized contracts for connection of micro-, small and mid-sized generation facilities in the Distribution System Code.

  • Section 1.0 describes embedded retail generator account treatment.
  • Section 3.2 describes the connection cost responsibility.
  • Section 6.2 describes the connection process, with further detail set out in Appendix F
  • Appendix E contains the standard form connection agreements. The connection process varies with the size of the generator;
  • Appendix F describes processes for four size classes of generator, from micro-sized (under 10 kW) to large size generators greater than 10 MW.

Retail Settlement Code
You will need to have a meter installed and set-up an account with the distributor for the purpose of settling.  You can find out more about your options in the Retail Settlement Code.

  • Section 3.2 describes generator account treatment
  • Section 4.1 describes metering and settlement

Industry Links 

Hydro One Networks Inc.

The Canadian Wind Energy Association

Canadian Solar Industries Association

Ontario Waterpower Association

Biogas (Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs)

Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)'s-Power-System/default.aspx

Ministry of Energy
Ontario’s Green Energy Act (GEA) was created to expand renewable energy generation, encourage energy conservation and promote the creation of clean energy jobs.

Renewable Energy Facilitation Office
The Renewable Energy Facilitation Office (REFO) was established to assist renewable energy project proponents (developers, communities and municipalities) obtain information about bringing their projects to life.

Electrical Safety Authority (ESA)
The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) enforces the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. You will need to contact the ESA to have your facility and its connection to the LDC’s system inspected. If approved, you will receive an inspection certificate.

Natural Resources Canada
To determine if you can make money generating electricity from renewable energy projects, visit the Canadian Government’s RETScreen International Clean Energy Decision Support Centre. This free, online tool will provide a financial analysis of your small scale energy project.