LEAP EFA provides a one-time grant towards electricity or natural gas bills arrears to qualified customers who are behind on their bill and have been disconnected or are at risk having their service shut off. It is for emergency situations.
LEAP EFA is one of several ways that the OEB protects vulnerable consumers. Learn more at oeb.ca/billhelp.
LEAP EFA: By the Numbers
- In 2017, LEAP dispersed $5,254,389 in emergency grants to 11,643 electricity customers and $2,064,311 in emergency grants to 5,571 natural gas customers
- The average electricity grant in 2017 was $451
- The average natural gas grant in 2017 was $371
- 67 electricity distributors and 5 natural gas distributors took part in LEAP EFA in 2017
- Over 158 social agencies assisted customers in applying for LEAP EFA in 2017
As part of the OEB’s commitment to help protect low-income energy consumers, the OEB has initiated a review of LEAP EFA. Learn more here.