A number of special programs are available in Ontario to help low-income energy consumers. You need to meet certain criteria to qualify for these programs:
- Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
This program provides low-income consumers with a monthly on-bill credit to reduce their electricity bill. This program provides ongoing help.
- Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
This program provides a one-time grant towards your electricity or natural gas bill if you are behind on your bill and may face having your service shut off. It is for emergency situations.
- Special rules for low-income customers
Electricity utilities, natural gas utilities and unit sub-metering providers have to follow special rules when dealing with low-income customers; for example, waiving security deposits and allowing longer payment times under arrears payment plans.
We have rules in place to ensure that all residential customers across the province are treated fairly when it comes to customer service, including disconnections and re-connection. Learn more about the rules for electricity customers and natural gas customers.
Assistance for Low-income Energy Customers
Energy conservation and programs
Conservation programs are available to help customers reduce their energy use. Some of these are special programs for low-income customers. Conserving energy can help you save money and reduces greenhouse gas emissions from Ontario’s energy sector.
- Save on Energy - helps you use energy wisely at home and in your business. Take advantage of incentives and resources to make your energy-efficiency projects more affordable including the Energy Affordability Program and the First Nations Conservation Program, which provides free energy-efficient upgrades to homes in participating communities.
- Enbridge Gas - help for income-qualified homes and rebates for energy-efficient upgrades to help consumers save energy, make your home more comfortable and lower your natural gas bill. Visit this page for programs for businesses.
- Natural Resources Canada - information on energy efficiency and programs available at the federal, provincial and municipal level. Learn about the government programs and incentives that help Canadians consume less energy and save money, including the Canada Greener Homes Grant.