The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) has released its Natural Gas Facilities Handbook (Handbook). The Handbook brings together the legislative and policy frameworks applicable to different types of applications that regularly come before the OEB for natural gas facilities approvals, including filing requirements based on OEB practice. Release of the Handbook is an important milestone on the OEB’s path to modernization and will enhance the timeliness and efficiency of the OEB’s processes. The Handbook will be a living document, with updates made over time as needed.
The Handbook provides guidance to applicants and others that have an interest in the following application types:
1. Under the Municipal Franchises Act
- Section 8, Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity Applications
- Sections 9 and 10, Municipal Franchise Agreement Applications
2. Under the Ontario Energy Board Act
- Section 38, Designated Storage Area Applications
- Section 40, DSA Well Drilling Licence Application Referrals
- Section 90 and 91, Leave to Construct Applications
- Section 95, Exemption from the Requirements of Section 90 Applications
- Section 99, Expropriation Applications related to Leave to Construct Approvals
The Natural Gas Facilities Handbook was issued on March 31, 2022.