The OEB is aware of reports that residents in the Village by the Arboretum in Guelph have been approached by people claiming to represent the OEB and trying to get information to sign them up for subsidies. The Guelph Police Service says the people were not wearing any company identification.
Consumers with questions or concerns about any sales calls or door-to-door experiences are encouraged to contact the OEB at 1-877-632-2727 within the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Friday, or call the police.
If you receive a call or are approached at the door by a salesperson, remember:
- Ask to see identification.
- Ask for a business ID card with the sales representative’s company information.
- Do not feel compelled to share your personal information. Your utility bill is private. It contains personal information like your account number and energy usage.
- More information about consumer rights and the rules specific to door-to-door energy retailers can be found at www.oeb.ca/knockknock.
- OEB Consumer Protection Tip Sheet (pdf)
- Consumer Alert (pdf)