Use our bill calculators to help you:
- Compare electricity price plans
- Compare your current electricity or natural gas bill with a contract offered by an energy retailer
Compare Time-of-Use to Tiered pricing
Residential and small business customers that pay Time-of-Use (TOU) electricity prices can choose to switch to Tiered prices. Find out more about switching from TOU to Tiered prices.
Power is personal. Depending on how much electricity you use and when you use it, one price plan may suit you better than the other. Use our calculator to see what your total bill would look like under both TOU and Tiered prices, taking into account the other rates charged by your electricity utility (Delivery and Regulatory) and the Ontario Electricity Rebate.
To switch from TOU to Tiered prices, you must notify your utility by completing a form (called an election form). You can get the election form on your utility’s website or by contacting them.
USING THE CALCULATOR
- Get your utility bill, or several months of bills. To use the calculator most effectively, you’ll want to know how much electricity you use and when you use it. You can find this information on the Electricity line of your bills or contact your utility for more detailed information about your electricity use.
- Remember, your monthly use and usage pattern may be different in the winter season than it is in the summer season. Keep in mind the effect of COVID-19 on your electricity use (for instance, you may be working from home when you normally wouldn’t be).
- Calculations are based on electricity commodity prices for the Regulated Price Plan (Time-of-Use and Tiered) effective November 1, 2020.
See how your bill might look on an energy contract
Compare your current bill from your local utility with what to expect if you sign an energy contract with an energy retailer (also called an electricity retailer or a natural gas marketer). The bill calculator uses the regulated rates for each utility in Ontario. You can enter the contract price offered by the energy retailer to compare.