As Ontario’s independent energy regulator, we make decisions and rules to ensure that consumers are treated fairly and that the energy sector is reliable and sustainable. We oversee how energy companies operate to ensure the public interest is served.
Here are some of the things we do to ensure consumers are treated fairly and that the energy system is reliable and sustainable. We:
- Make rules that protect consumers
- License energy companies in the electricity sector and natural gas marketers
- Establish the rates energy utilities can charge
- Provide information and tools to help you understand your usage and also the broader energy issues
- Monitor the performance of electricity utilities and how well the wholesale electricity market is working
Effective regulation delivers results
When energy regulation works well, it achieves measurable results:
- You receive a reliable energy supply at a reasonable cost and understand what you’re paying for
- Energy utilities operate efficiently and make cost-effective investments that reflect your needs
- The public interest is served and consumers are protected
- Ontario is well-prepared for the future with a strong, stable energy distribution system
See the dashboard for your electricity utility for at-a-glance performance stats, including reliability, customer service and operational efficiency.