In the fall of 2003, the Ontario Energy Board undertook a comprehensive sector review (read more about the Natural Gas Forum) to further improve the efficiency and effectiveness of natural gas regulation in Ontario.
The result of this review was a report, Natural Gas Regulation in Ontario: A Renewed Policy Framework, that was released on March 30, 2005. The conclusions of this report were implemented over the next several years through public processes that include stakeholder participation.
PUBLIC PROCESSES (Concluded)
- Storage and Transportation Access Rule (STAR) (EB-2008-0052)
- Gas Pricing, Balancing and Cost Allocation Proceeding (EB-2008-0106):
- Filing Guidelines for the Pre-Approval of Long-Term Gas Supply and/or Upstream Transportation Contracts (EB-2008-0280)
- NGEIR - Natural Gas Electricity Interface Review Issues and Storage Regulation, Generic Hearing (EB-2005-0551)
- Multi-Year Incentive Rate Regulation for Natural Gas Utilities - Consultation Process (EB-2006-0209)
- NGEIR - Natural Gas Electricity Interface Review - Consultation Process (EB-2005-0306)
- Natural Gas Utility Service Quality Requirements (EB-2005-0453)
- Minimum Filing Requirement for Natural Gas Cost of Service Applications (EB-2005-0494)
GAS ELECTRIC INTERFACE WORKING GROUP
The Natural Gas Forum report noted the need for coordination mechanisms between gas and electricity system operators. To address this concern, Union Gas, Enbridge Gas Distribution, TransCanada Pipelines, and the Independent Electricity System Operator formed the Gas Electric Interface Working Group to develop communications protocols between gas and electric system operations, plans for training relevant staff, and other operational coordination issues. A member of Board staff sat on the Working Group as an observer.