Callers make mention of “benefits” and “credits” offered through the program while, at the same time, requesting access into consumers’ homes.
The OEB wants consumers to know that it does not engage in, and is not involved with, any type of telephone sales activity. In addition, the OESP application and approval process does not require a home visit.
Consumers with questions or concerns about any sales calls or door-to-door experiences are encouraged to contact the OEB at 1-877-632-2727 within the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Friday, or call the police.
If you receive a call (or are approached at the door by a salesperson), remember:
- The OEB does not participate in any type of telephone sales activity.
- If you receive a call (or a visit at your door), do not feel compelled to share your personal information. Your utility bill is private. It contains personal information like your account number and energy usage.
- On the phone, make sure you get the name of the person you are speaking with, the company they represent and their telephone number.
- If someone is at your door, ask to see identification including a business ID card with the sales representative’s company information.
- Consumers interested in the OESP can visit OntarioElectricitySupport.ca
- For more information about consumer rights and the rules specific to door-to-door energy retailers visit oeb.ca/knockknock
- OEB Consumer Protection Tip Sheet (pdf)
- Consumer Alert (pdf)
- Video: Energy Contracts in Ontario - Know Who You're Dealing With