The Green Energy Act established a new framework for electricity conservation and demand management in Ontario.
In accordance with a directive from the Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, dated March 31, 2010, the Board was required to take certain steps to establish targets for the reduction of electricity consumption and peak provincial electricity demand to be met by certain licensed electricity distributors, as a condition of licence.
The requirement for CDM targets does not apply to distributors that are not connected to the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)-controlled grid, with the exception of embedded distributors, and to distributors whose rates are not regulated by the Board.
The Directive also required the Board to issue a code that includes rules relating to the reporting requirements and performance incentives associated with the CDM Programs. These rules also relate to the planning, design, approval, implementation and the evaluation, measurement and verification of Board-approved CDM Programs and to such other matters as the Board considers appropriate.
The Board recently issued new CDM Guidelines which provide guidance on certain provisions in the CDM Code and the type of evidence a distributor should file to support an application for Board-Approved CDM programs.
General CDM Information
- Report of the OEB - Updated Policy for the Lost Revenue Adjustment Mechanism Calculation: Lost Revenues and CDM Program Peak Demand Savings
Performance Incentives / Annual Report Template
- FAQ: Performance Incentive and 2014 Annual Report
- CDM Annual Report Template
- CDM Performance Incentive Calculator (.xlsx)
- Performance Incentive Applications
2015 CDM Guidelines
- Guidelines for Electricity Distributor Conservation and Demand Management (EB-2014-0278) (Updated Aug 11, 2016)
The updated Guidelines include direction related to the OEB’s policy on the treatment of peak demand savings from CDM programs as part of the lost revenue adjustment mechanism calculation. The full OEB policy on this topic was issued on May 19, 2016 under OEB file number EB-2016-0182.
- Board Letter (Dec 19, 2014)
2011-2014 CDM Term
- Board Letter – Reporting and Performance Incentives (Aug 26, 2015)
2012 CDM Guidelines
- Guidelines for Electricity Distributor Conservation and Demand Management (EB-2012-0003) (Apr 26, 2012)
- Conservation and Demand Management Code for Electricity Distributors (EB-2010-0215)
- Development of Conservation and Demand Management Targets (EB-2010-0216)
- CDM Targets (Nov 12, 2010)
- Revised CDM Targets (Mar 14, 2011)
- OPA Advice Document on CDM Targets (Jun 21, 2010)
- FAQ: Conservation Plans and OEB Approved Programs
- Annual Reports
Third Tranche and Incremental Funding Information
- Inputs and Assumptions for Calculating Total Resource Cost (Important: Please see document dated Jan 27, 2009 below)
- Board's Policy on Inputs and Assumptions for Calculating Total Resource Cost (Jan 27, 2009)
- Compliance Bulletin 200701 (Jan 25, 2007)
- CDM Applications for post Third Tranche Funding - CDM Plans and Decisions for CDM activities in 2006 and beyond.
- Guidelines for Electricity Distributor Conservation and Demand Management - Information on LRAM and SSM claims related to third tranche and incremental funding.
- Avoided Cost of Energy, and of Generation, Transmission and Distribution Capacity
- Changes to Quarterly Reporting Requirements
- Third Tranche CDM Activities (RP-2004-0203) - Information relating to Third Tranche CDM activities, including CDM Plans, Decisions, Annual Reports, and LRAM and SSM applications
- Distribution Revenue Decoupling (EB-2010-0060)
- Conservation and Demand Management Input Assumptions (EB-2008-0352) - The Board consulted on its proposal to endorse the Ontario Power Authority’s Measures and Assumptions List.
- Regulatory Barriers to CDM (EB-2007-0097) - Information on stakeholder meetings held in April-May 2007 regarding regulatory barriers to CDM.
- Regulatory Treatment of CDM Activities by Electricity Distributors (EB-2006-0266) - The Board's process to develop a regulatory framework for CDM activities by electricity distributors in 2007 and beyond.
- EDA Revenue Stabilization Proposal (RP-2006-0267) - Information on a revenue stabilization proposal issued for comment on November 2, 2006.
- Generic Conservation and Demand Management Issues Proceeding (RP-2002-0020 / EB-2005-0523) - A generic proceeding to consider common CDM activities as part of the 2006 EDR process.
- Minister's Directive on Demand-Side Management and Demand Response (RP-2003-0144)