Section 57(c) of the Ontario Energy Board Act, 1998 provides that no person is permitted to generate electricity or provide ancillary services for sale through the IESO-administered markets or directly to another person without a licence.
There are certain exemptions from the requirement to hold an electricity generation licence. One of those exemptions is that a person who owns or operates one or more facilities each with a total name plate capacity of 500 kilowatts or less is exempt from the need to obtain an electricity generation licence.
If you are interested in applying for an electricity generation licence or if you would like to renew your licence, refer to the link below and download an application form. A sample licence is available for viewing by clicking the link below. The applicant is encouraged to complete the application form electronically and file it along with any attachments, by e-mail to: Registrar@oeb.ca. The applicant must also send, to the Ontario Energy Board (OEB), two paper copies of the completed and signed application form, along with two paper copies of the required attachments and a cheque or money order in Canadian funds made payable to the Ontario Energy Board.
For each licence application filed with the Board, the applicant must submit a non-refundable application fee of:
- $100 for an applicant with a name plate capacity of 10.0 megawatts or less;
- $1000 for an applicant with a name plate capacity of more than 10.0 megawatts;
- $200 for an applicant with a name plate capacity of more than 10.0 megawatts applying to renew its electricity generation licence and has paid its annual registration fee.
Unless exempt, a licensee must pay an annual registration fee for every year of its licence. For licensees with a capacity of more than 10.0 megawatts, there is an annual registration fee of $800. For licensees with a capacity of 10.0 megawatts or less, there is no annual registration fee.
- Annual Registration Fee Exemption (capacity of 10.0 megawatts or less) (pdf)
- Letter - Reduced Licence Fees for Generators with a Capacity of 10.0 megawatts or Less (pdf)
Feed-in Tariff Program Generator
For a list of active licensees and a list of current applicants, click on the links below:
If you require an amendment to your electricity generation licence, please use the following link for more information about applications for licence amendments.